Thursday, June 7, 2012

Something Old, Something New with Xyron

This week Xyron is featuring Something Old, Something New projects from myself and the other new design team members on the Ain't She Crafty blog. When we received our Xyron Welcome Packages last month, we were also given an old project and asked to turn it into something new. The old project I was sent was this set of family coasters: (Click on the photos to get a better view!)


For my new project I made this magnetic family display:



A couple of close ups:





I loved how they incorporated the word family in the coaster set and I knew I wanted to include it in my project, too. I started by cutting my patterned papers to 4x4 inches and cut out each letter using my Silhouette Cameo. Instead of using the actual letters in my project, I used the negative spaces as frames and added photos I printed and trimmed to 4x4 inches.  I ran each letter frame through the Xyron 5" Creative Station with Permanent Refill and adhered them to the top of my photos. After I adhered the photos and letters together I ran each of the framed photos through the Xyron 5" Creative Station with the Laminate Magnet Refill. I trimmed off any extra magnet and rounded the corners with the 1/2 inch Corner Chomper.

While this makes a nice photo display for the fridge, the magnets could also be used to hold children's artwork , school schedules, etc. Instead of using the word family, you could use your child's name and create a very personalized set of magnets to display artwork or school projects.



When you run items through one of the Xyron Creative Station machines using the Laminate Magnet Refill, you get magnet on the bottom and laminate on the top. Since each of my letter frames is protected by the laminate I could also use them as coasters and store them on the fridge as the photo display when not in use. I love that a simple project like this can have mutiple uses.



Supply List:

Xyron 5" Creative Station
Xyron 5" Creative Station Permanent Refill
Xyron 5" Creative Station Laminate Magnet Refill
Echo Park Sweet Day Patterned Papers
Silhouette Cameo
We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper (1/2 inch)

I hope you enjoyed my project. Thanks for stopping by!




0 comments: